Senior Vet Camp
Oxbow’s vet camp is designed specifically for youth that are serious about exploring careers in animal science and veterinary science. Lessons and activities are focused on science-based principles and skills that veterinarians use every day to treat and diagnose their animal patients. A lecture and lab format will allow for hands on application of learning and a field visit will allow participants to shadow real veterinarians on the job!
Camp runs from 8-4:30 for 3 days (December 28-30, 2021). Check in starts at 7:45 a.m.
The daily activities are classroom based, and in between the sessions, we allow time for social breaks, lunch and snacks.
- 2 snacks a day
- Camp materials (personalized scrubs, stethoscopes, Oxbow journal, and classroom activity supplies)
- Transportation to and from field visit in Omaha/Lincoln area
Yes, lunch is not provided by Oxbow Vet Camp and should be sent with your camper each day.
Senior Vet Camp is designed for kids in 9-12 grade in the 2020-2021 school year.
Because of the content and the curriculum of the camp, 8th graders will have to wait until they are a year older to attend Senior Camp. The senior curriculum is appropriate for those completing 9-12th grade; their ability to participate in the Senior camp relies on the competencies and experiences they have at that level.
Not at this time.
A max of 15 campers are allowed to attend camp to ensure the student to instructor ratio is appropriate for the curriculum and related activities.
- Our instructors are Oxbow employees that are formally trained in animal and veterinary science. These individuals are uniquely qualified to provide instruction on veterinary and animal sciences for this age range.
- Instructors have passed a background check and drug test.
- Instructors have experience in educating youth.
During the classroom activities, and depending on the final number of participants, it will be around 1:8.
- Casual, comfortable, appropriate clothing
- No open-toed shoes are allowed due to safety concerns in a lab setting and on field visits.
You can contact them through Oxbow and the Oxbow Camp Director. This information will be provided in an email following registration.
During their snack and lunch breaks, campers will be allowed to access their cell phones.
Due to the significant cost of curriculum supplies as well as personalized scrubs, only partial refunds are available until 2 weeks prior to Day 1 of camp. After that, registration fees are non-refundable.
- Campers will delve into a deeper understanding of veterinary science through the week, including hands on application of key skills.
- Campers will get the opportunity to perform a dissection.
- Campers will get the opportunity to travel “on location” with a small group of their peers (5 or less) to shadow an area veterinarian in their day to day operations.
Yes, this camp is geared for students seriously exploring veterinary medicine as a career path and, as such, will delve deeper into the core concepts of veterinary medicine with live animals supporting curriculum throughout the course.
Yes. On Friday, we host a parent open house from 3:30-4:30 p.m.